- Stanley D. AbramsPartner
- Email Stanley D. Abrams ›
Stanley D. Abrams has been a partner at Abrams & West since its inception in 1984. Additionally, Mr. Abrams served as the City Attorney for the City of Gaithersburg, Maryland from 1979 until 2004. Mr. Abrams continues to serve as Special Counsel to the City of Gaithersburg. Throughout his distinguished career, Mr. Abrams has also served as a consultant on zoning and land use matters to a number of local governments, planning agencies and land developers.
Prior to joining Abrams & West, Mr. Abrams was a partner at the firm of Levitan, Ezrin, West & Kerxton, Chtd. From 1971–1979, Mr. Abrams served as the Chief Zoning Hearing Examiner for Montgomery County. While Hearing Examiner, he presided over approximately four hundred zoning requests. From 1967–1971, Mr. Abrams served as a Senior Assistant County Attorney for Montgomery County, Maryland. As an Assistant County Attorney, Mr. Abrams authored and worked on numerous projects including the Montgomery County Fair Housing Law, the Montgomery County Consumer Protection Law, and amendments to the Montgomery County Zoning Ordinance.
As one of the pre-eminent land use and zoning attorneys in Maryland, Mr. Abrams has authored and co-authored an array of zoning and land use articles and books. These literary works include The Guide to Maryland Zoning Decisions, How to Win the Zoning Game, Handling the Land Use Case, and Land Use Practice and Forms.
Mr. Abrams is a member of the faculty for the Land Use Institute section of the American Law Institute for the American Bar Association and the Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers.
Stanley Abrams has been listed in Washingtonian Magazine’s “Top Lawyers” in the Washington, D.C. metro area, as well as Best Lawyers by ALM (formerly American Lawyer Media) and the Maryland Super Lawyers publication.
- Guide to Maryland Zoning Decisions
- How to Win the Zoning Game
- Handling the Land Use Case (co-author)
- Land Use Practice and Forms (co-author)
- Faculty, Land Use Institute of the American Bar Association
- Faculty, Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Montgomery County, Maryland Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bethesda/Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce (past President & Board Member)
- Lecturer, Maryland Judicial Institute
Past Employment Positions
- City of Gaithersburg, Maryland, City Attorney, 1979–2004
- Levitan, Ezrin, West, & Kerxton, Chtd., Partner, 1979–1984
- Chief Zoning Hearing Examiner for Montgomery County, Maryland, 1971–1979
- Senior Assistant County Attorney for Montgomery County, Maryland, 1967–1971